A product of a rich legacy of the Catholic mission of education…
Father Joseph Cataldo was a Catholic Jesuit priest who was influential in the founding of Our Lady of Lourdes parish school in 1888.
In 1914, Bishop Augustine Schinner created a new parish in the Diocese of Spokane named St. Augustine. This parish served the 75 Catholic families in the Cannon Hill area. The parish opened St. Augustine School in September of 1915, beginning with 50 students and three sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration, an order with a charism of Eucharistic and lived adoration.
In 1971, students from Our Lady of Lourdes, St. Augustine, and Sacred Heart parishes were combined to provide the best education possible. Grades one through four (Cataldo Primary School) were housed at what was previously the Sacred Heart Parish School site and grades five through eight (Cataldo Middle School) were housed at the former St. Augustine site. In 1984 the schools were consolidated at the St. Augustine facility, and in 1987, the school was renamed Cataldo Catholic School to reflect its heritage and religious commitment.
Today, Cataldo remains a tri-parish school serving the Cathedral of Our Lady of Lourdes, Sacred Heart, and Saint Augustine parishes.